Ozempic (semaglutide) is a prescription medication that is used to help adults with obesity or overweight and certain weight-related medical conditions lose weight.
It is not a diet pill or a long-term solution, but it can be a helpful tool to help patients to reduce excess body weight when used in combination with a healthy diet and exercise program.
Who is Ozempic for?
Ozempic is for adults who have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher, or a BMI of 27 or higher with at least one weight-related medical condition, such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, or sleep apnea.
How does Ozempic work?
Ozempic works by mimicking the effects of a natural hormone called GLP-1. GLP-1 helps to control appetite and promote feelings of fullness. Ozempic also helps to slow down the movement of food through the digestive system, which can also help to promote weight loss.
- Stimulates Insulin Secretion: Ozempic works by mimicking the action of a hormone called glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) in the body. GLP-1 helps to stimulate insulin secretion from the pancreas in response to high blood sugar levels. By activating GLP-1 receptors, Ozempic increases insulin release from the pancreas, which helps lower blood sugar levels.
- Slows Down Gastric Emptying: Another way Ozempic works is by slowing down the emptying of the stomach. This helps to regulate the absorption of nutrients and reduce blood sugar spikes after a meal.
- Reduces Appetite: Ozempic also suppresses appetite and promotes a feeling of fullness (satiety). This can lead to a reduction in food intake, which can help with weight loss.
- Lowers Glucagon Release: Glucagon is a hormone that raises blood sugar levels by promoting the release of glucose from the liver. Ozempic reduces the release of glucagon, which helps to decrease blood sugar levels.
Overall, the actions of Ozempic help to control blood sugar levels, reduce appetite, and promote weight loss, making it an effective medication for managing type 2 diabetes.
Ozempic should not be used by people who have:
- A history of pancreatitis
- A serious allergic reaction to semaglutide or any of the ingredients in Ozempic
- A personal or family history of medullary thyroid cancer
- A condition that affects how your body uses sugar, such as type 1 diabetes
- A condition that affects your stomach or intestines, such as a bowel obstruction
The most common side effects of Ozempic are:
- Abdominal pain
- Back pain
- Muscle pain
Ozempic is a safe and effective weight loss medication for adults with obesity or overweight and certain weight-related medical conditions. However, it is important to talk to an experienced weight loss care provider about the risks and benefits of Ozempic before starting treatment.
Ozempic consultation with our weight loss experts
If you are interested in learning more about Ozempic or scheduling a weight loss consultation, please contact our team for more information and advice. We’d be happy to arrange a weight loss consultation to discuss your requirements. This can be arranged via video call or in person. We’re here to help you determine if Ozempic is right for you and can help you create a weight loss plan that is safe and effective for you.