Endoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (ESG) is a minimally invasive weight loss procedure that is performed using an endoscope – a thin, flexible tube with a camera attached to the end.
The surgeon inserts the endoscope through the mouth and into the stomach. Once the endoscope is in place, the surgeon uses a suturing device to create a series of stitches that narrow the stomach, essentially making it smaller and reducing its capacity.
The procedure is designed to reduce the amount of food that the stomach can hold, which can help with weight loss.
ESG is a relatively new procedure, and it is not yet as widely available as other weight loss procedures, such as gastric bypass surgery. However, ESG has several potential advantages over traditional weight loss surgery.
- Minimally invasive procedure – less likely to cause complications than traditional weight loss surgery.
- No general anaesthetic – can be performed under local anaesthetic and/or sedation. This is a much easier and more cost-effective alternative. It also means that you may be able to go home the same day as your procedure.
- Reversible – can be undone if you are not happy with the results.
Potential benefits of ESG
- Weight loss – ESG can help you lose a significant amount of weight. Studies have shown that people who have ESG can lose an average of 50-60% of their excess body weight.
- Improved health – ESG can improve your health in a number of ways. It can lower your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and risk of diabetes. It can also improve your sleep apnea and arthritis.
- Quality of life – ESG can improve your quality of life in a number of ways. It can give you more energy, improve your self-confidence, and make it easier to participate in activities that you enjoy.
Potential risks of ESG
Potential risks and complications include bleeding, infection, perforation of the stomach, leakage from the sutures, dumping syndrome (a condition that causes nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea after eating), nutritional deficiencies, weight regain. All potential risks will be fully explained at your consultation, prior to surgery and balanced against the potential benefits.
This is a relatively new procedure. Professor Marcus Reddy is at the forefront of advanced techniques so you’re in safe hands.
If you are considering a weight loss procedure, why not arrange a consultation to discuss the options. Professor Reddy offer assessment, recommendations and detailed information. We offer video consultations for your convenience or face to face at a choice of locations.