Spatz3 Adjustable Balloon
Gastric Balloon Procedure
The Spatz3 gastric balloon is different in two key ways:
- Adjustable – the Spatz3 Adjustable Balloon can be adjusted in order to boost weight loss when your body gets used to it. Equally, its effect can be lessened while you are getting used to it, to make it easier to tolerate
- 1 year – The Spatz3 Adjustable Balloon is safe enough to be used for a whole year – longer than any other type of gastric balloon
What is Spatz3?
- The Spatz3 Adjustable Balloon is a medical grade, saline-filled gastric balloon. The balloon sits in the stomach where it occupies around a third of the volume on a permanent basis. This means that patients feel fuller for longer and are able to eat less, resulting in weight loss when used in conjunction with diet, exercise and a change in lifestyle
- Like other gastric balloons, the Spatz3 is inserted through the mouth during an outpatient procedure under sedation. There is no need for a hospital stay
- Average weight losses
- After 6 months: 2½ stone (16 kg)
- After 12 months: 4 stone (25 kg)
The gastric balloon is removed after the initial duration, at which point we can discuss any further treatment or surgery required to achieve the best level of weight loss.
Advantages of Spatz3 Adjustable Balloon
- Balloon can be adjusted down if needed to prevent early extraction for intolerance
- Balloon can be adjusted up during the treatment, in order to achieve renewed balloon effect at 4-5 month stage, thus preventing weight regain
- Adjustments in combination with 1 year implantation
- Medically significant weight loss maintenance two years after balloon removal
- Over 80% of patients have a good response with an adjustable balloon
Who’s suitable for a gastric balloon?
- Patients with a BMI 27 and above who have not been able to achieve sustained weight loss through dietary or other approaches
- Patients with a BMI of 35 to 40 who decline surgical weight loss options or need a weight loss step before undergoing weight loss surgery
- Patients planned for cardiovascular, orthopaedic or other surgery and require weight reduction before they can proceed or require weight reduction to improve their risks and likelihood of a good outcome