What are the benefits of gastric band surgery?
Gastric band surgery is a clinically proven method of weight loss.
- When combined with a supervised diet, increased activity and behaviour modification, it can lead to long-term weight loss
- The health benefits associated with the gastric band include its potential to cure or significantly improve a variety of specific conditions, including:
- Diabetes (type 2)
- Sleep apnoea
- High cholesterol (Dyslipidaemia)
- Reflux disease/indigestion
- Stress incontinence
- Asthma episodes
- Joint / muscle pain
- Weight loss is more than with non-surgical programmes alone.
- Average excess weight loss is 50% (for example, if a patient is 10 stone overweight then we would expect him/her to lose on average 5 stone).
We feel it is important for patients to have a clear view of the commitments and risks associated with this surgery. However, these have to be balanced against the longer-term risks of remaining severely overweight. This should be fully discussed with your bariatric surgeon at the time of your consultation.